Thank goodness for SLUG camp at Harvest War. I managed to finish 4 out of 6 seams; including edge bindings, on the coat. I would have gotten more done but I ran out of linen thread and had to run up to The Needle Point Joint on Monday. I am very pleased with the way these seams are turning out. Smooth, even and all around COOL. I'll try to get clear pics up soon.
I also got a scroll assignment that needs to be done ASAP so I won't be working on ACC this week. I should be back on track by next week.
Monday, September 5, 2011
I've been putting off working on Hoggar's coat for one simple reason. I really hate sleeves. I can never get them the right length, the right circumference, they're too tight in the arm pit, Hoggar's hands won't fit through the opening, WHATEVER! I repeat I just can't get them right. Added to that I have to draft a totally wacky pattern that has two main parts and two gussets AND those gussets are no where near the underarm. Strange.
With this foreign configuration I pulled out the trusty pattern paper roll and drafted it on that rather than straight on the fabric. It took about an hour and I had the usual math headache when I was done but the most amazing thing happened as I was sewing it together. Everything fit together exactly the way is was supposed to. Easing the sleeve into the arm hole was a breeze. When Hoggar put it on it fit, well not perfectly, but it was comfortable and not binding around the under arm. It is totally crazy.
He also has Muscular Dystrophy. With the research right now the prognosis is wheel chair by 12, respirator by 30. So as you're out and about this weekend if you see a fireman holding a boot please throw in your change. Every penny counts. Thanks.